Saturday, January 19, 2008

January 19, 2008

The past few weeks since my last blog entry have been very exciting and super productive on both a professional and personal level. I came to Ecuador via my studies in search of something far greater than simply a dissertation topic. As I mentioned in a previous blog, this experience is an important step in a much longer and personal journey of self discovery. Everything I´ve done and experienced up until this moment-- my graduate studies, my struggle with my identity, my love of music and academic interests—has in some way prepared me for and set me on this path. I know that my being here in Ecuador, that my interest in la Bomba and in the black communities of the Chota-Valley is no accident. Every step of the process has required a leap of faith, having only a year ago switched dissertation topics. But something from deep within me urged me forward, guided my step and told me this was right. And so here I am in Ecuador, behind the reading curve (as one professor puts it), not having any research experience in the Chota valley, without external funding, starting anew with contacts and building relationships, and still not certain of which direction this dissertation topic will take me. But I decided to follow my heart trusting that time will answer all my doubts, fears, and questions, and lead me forward on my life´s journey. Little did I know that I´m not alone on this journey.

As you all know, when I first arrived, I spent the first two months getting organized and floundering somewhat. I expected this, of course, but I finally made contact with a key contact here in Ecuador, Edison Leon, who proved to be the catalyst for my journey. During our first meeting in November, he mentioned in passing, that yet another graduate student was here doing research on la Bomba and the oral traditions of the communities of the Chota-valley. Naturally, he thought it would be a good idea if we met up at some point. This thought intrigued me, but I set the comment aside as the festivities of December approached, knowing I´d accomplish little in the way of research during that time. Contacts and questions of research would have to wait until the new year, I thought to myself.

The holiday break gave me some distance and perspective, and I quickly reinitiated contact with Edison soon after the New Year. On January 9, I met Edison in his office with nothing in hand--nothing to show and really nothing to ask other than ¨hey, can you help me get started with this?¨ Despite this fact, I knew I had to go and see him in person. Little did I know that this meeting would serve as a catalyst for the amazing events and experiences to follow, for unbeknownst to me, he had invited another person to our meeting—Diana, the other graduate student doing research on La Bomba!

As it turns out, Diana, originally from Argentina, is a graduate student at Ohio State University and is here on a Fulbright doing dissertation research on La Bomba for a degree in Spanish Literature! We immediately connected, not only because of our similar research interests, but because we both sensed that there was something greater to our meeting than mere coincidence and chance. I´ll let Diana speak to her side of the story, but what I can say is that both Diana and I have been searching for a long time, searching for questions that we weren´t even conscious of and least expected to confront and resolve during the course of our time here in Ecuador. As one who never really truly believed in the concept of true love and destiny up until this moment, I never would have imagined the intensity of my encounter and experience with Diana. I´ve never known anything to feel so right in my life. I now know that not only will Diana and I make an amazing team as professionals, but that, together, we will share our love for one another and for the people with whom we work here in Ecuador for the rest of our lives. I met my soul mate. I´m now a believer—Thank you God.

I hope this message finds everyone well and at peace. I wish you all the best and hope that you find happiness and true love in your own lives if you haven´t already.

Love from the Chota Valley, Ecuador
Pacho and Diana

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Queridos Pachito y Diana,

Felicitaciones...I'm very happy for you both to have found the love of your lives. Can't wait to meet Diana...........our family continues to grow.

te amo, mi hijito,
Mama

Grover20 said...

Oh Pacho, I am so happy for you both. What a lovely way of describing such a wonderful thing. Your post was the last thing I read this leap year day as midnight chimed here in New Zealand, couldn't have asked for nicer news. There is something magical about time spent in Ecuador, glad it worked to bring you two together.

Best of times to you both, and hope our paths cross sometime soon.

- Shannon

Nicolette Lara said...

Felicitaciones Loco! :P keep me posted on wedding dates :)