Monday, November 12, 2007

November 12, 2007

Go figure, I post a comment about the Mariscal Sucre airport and a few days later an airplane goes off the runway while attempting to land. Luckily nobody was hurt. The airport was completely closed for the weekend. The reason for the accident is yet unknown.

In other news, I spent the weekend with my grandmother in Guayllabamba, a town just north of Quito and a bit lower in altitude. There she has a small finca, or plot of land that she farms up in the hills above the city. While she has a house in Carapungo, it seems that she now spends more time in Guayllabamba than in Carapungo. She tells me it’s because she has no one to watch her property, which is certainly a concern, but I think it has more to do with the peace and tranquility of the surrounding environment (in contrast to Quito). The fertile soil, fresh air, beautiful landscape, and slower pace of living make the hills surrounding Guayllabamba a great attraction for QuiteƱos and foreigners seeking to escape the hectic pace and chaos of the city. For those of you from Minnesota, going to Guayllabamba for the weekend would be the equivalent of “going to the lake” or “going up north.”

While not especially large, my grandmother makes good use of the land. Among the various fruits and vegetables she grows are: avocados, oranges, lemons, limes, a type of tomato that grows on trees, potatoes, sweet potato, bananas, and even sugar cane. The avocados take the prize, however. The four or so avocado trees she has produce more than enough avocados for a couple of families. I love avocados, but one can only eat so many in a day.

The house itself is quite modest, consisting of a combined kitchen and common area and a small bedroom attached to the side. It’s quite pleasant, more like a cottage really, but I suppose the idea really isn’t to stay indoors in such a place. For my grandmother, it’s an ideal place I suppose, and I don’t blame her for wanting to stay there. As it turns out, my dad’s cousin Alfredo recently bought a home in the neighborhood. It looks as though the family may end up retiring in Guayllabamba.

6 comments:

Pablo Vicente Lara said...

Pacho, I am jealous about reading the good veggies and fruits you had at your grandmother's house. It sounds great. I can't wait to breath that country air one day! Marisol

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Pacho, It's great to read your initial descriptions of Ecuador. I was thinking about your issues with posting pictures. Here are some links and ideas about that. I hope you find this useful. What kind of internet setup do you have there? Looking forward to more great posts from you.

Take Care, Steven Hickman

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/expert/bott_03may19.mspx

Tyra said...

Hey Pacho!!!

What a wonderful tool the internet is, yes? Great way to keep in touch with a large group of folks. Your comments are very descriptive. Good time to be heading south for the winter - we should have given you bird seed when you left so you would truly be a snow bird. Minnesota and the office are much more quiet now that you have left us. Hope your Ecuadorean experience brings you all that you hope it will.

Take care and have a great time!!!

Tyra

Christine Lattin said...

Pacho!

I covet your fresh avocadoes...I cut into one from the grocery store yesterday and it was black all the way through. It must have traveled too long & far to get to my kitchen table. Think of me when you are feasting on fresh ones ... *drool*

And tomatoes on trees?? What kind of a magical place is this "Ecuador"?

Cheers,
Christine

Elisa said...

Pacho!!
Wow, I had no idea you were already in Ecuador. Ana told me about your blog, I think that is great and I am very excited to read more about your trip.
Take care and good luck!
Elisa