Sunday, November 18, 2007

November 18, 2007

It’s a beautiful Sunday here in Quito. The few clouds passing overhead barely skim the top of the mountains overlooking the city. It is there that heaven and earth meet, what place more fitting for the gods? Well, I can now rightfully be accused of having my head in the clouds.

Seriously, though, observing the valley and the surrounding landscape has been one of my favorite pastimes thus far. I have several pictures of the same view, but it always seems to look different depending on the time of day, amount of sunlight, and cloud cover. Half the mountains in the vicinity are obscured more often than not. Those rare occasions when the snow peak summits do shed their cloaks, however, are truly amazing. The landscape you once thought familiar instantly transforms and you can’t help but stop and catch your breath in awe. The ocean likewise affects me so. Its vastness, mystery, and power transfix me, commanding awe and respect. It stands to reason that, worldwide and ages over, people have personified, deified, and paid homage to such natural wonders—the home of the gods, the mighty seas and majestic summits.

And here I am some 9,000ft above sea level, almost able to touch the clouds and only hours from the Pacific coast, awaiting the inspiration that has eluded me of late. My confidence ebbs and flows as regularly as the ocean tide, at times hesitant and retreating, and yet other times overflowing. The week’s events presented both personal and professional surprises and challenges, forcing me to re-evaluate some of my priorities and my approach with regards to my project. I do not mean to be so vague, but I know that only I can answer the questions that I’m asking myself at this point, and that perhaps only time and a willingness to follow my intuition and take certain risks will ultimately lead me forward. So I am glad to have a moment for reflection on this beautiful Sunday afternoon, and I hope that you also have a chance to relax and allow your mind to wander a bit. Until the next posting,

Cuidanse,
Pacho

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hijito,

You write so beautifully.

x0x0x0x0x0x Mama

Pacho said...

Luke! Dude, I can´t believe it´s been a year already! Happy belated anniversary! And, yes, I hear ya. No worries, though, things will come together, and yes, I´ll get some pictures up this week